At the end of every year, I make a list of 50 thing I am proud I did. Instead of making resolutions at the beginning of the new year, I think, what would I be proud to say I did at the end of the year. It's a way to be more positive and uplifting about accomplishing things, instead of feeling stressed, pressured, etc. So here we go!
1. Returned to grad school after a two-year medical leave
2. Got A's in 5/5 classes I took
3. Kept my sanity while moving apartments three times
4. Started running again
5. Completed a 5k turkey trot on Thanksgiving
6. Drove from Charleston to Boston .
7. Worked out with a trainer twice/week from May-August
8. Went from not being able to do a full situp,
to doing three sets of 20 in one workout.
9. Hiked around America's Stonehenge
10. Went on a two-day yoga and meditation retreat
11. Did an handstand in yoga on that retreat!! ...
Ok, this one is huge for me, just huge.
Since 2009 I have had seven operations on my arms
after I fell off a roof. Years of physical therapy,
taking care of my body and helping my arms recover
paid off in that moment!!!
12. Bought furniture for the first time
13. Opened up to my family about my injuries
14. Survived my mom visiting for two weeks
15. Went to Boston's Stylefixx event
16. Went to a Tristan Prettyman and The Script concert
17. Went to the Cambridge Zen Center for a few dharma talks
18. Taught a little girl how to stand up for herself
19. Went apple picking... twice!
20. Threw a wonderful housewarming party with my roommate
21. Spent a weekend with my brother in Long Island
22. Traveled the Freedom Trail here in Boston
23. Said 'no' to things I didn't want to do
24. Went a day or two without pain in my arms!!
25. Befriended an elderly neighbor
26. Improvised and used a standing desk
27. Played violin regularly for the first time in years!
28. Learned a few songs on the ukulele
29. Wrote a poem collectively with a brain injury support group
30. Sang in front of about ten people (OCMS - Wagon Wheel)
31. Started seeing a chiropractor
32. Asked a friend to come with me to the doctor.
33. Painted some pottery, pictures, and gifts for loved ones
34. Wrote nice 'please don't park here again' notes
and put them on peoples' windshields when they parked
in the handicapped spot with no sticker/card.
35. Reconnected with great friends
36. Fell in love with biostatistics
37. Did my homework under pressure in two hours,
and didn't get a headache.
38. Went to the kid's science museum by accident
and had a great time
39. Went salsa dancing
40. Climbed to the top of a lighthouse
41. Tried a bunch of new sex positions
42. Went on a horse-drawn carriage ride at night in Central Park
43. Was listed on Niall Doherty's blog
100 People Doing Extraordinary Things
44. Recommitted myself to the person I want to be
45. Found a facewash I love!
46. Spent more time cooking at home then ever before
47. Won $5 playing Mah Jong with the old ladies club
48. Went fishing.... topless
49. Went swinging, like with a little kid on a playground.
That sounds bad.
50. Went to a movie alone
Ok, that is the list! So many little things happened in 2012, I could add 25 more things, but I like this list. At the end of the year, I got quite sick with heart troubles. See the post below this one. I'm working on maintaining my happiness through that and also figuring out who I am as my life continues to change. Lots of transitions and work to do.
I lied about making resolutions... For 2013, I did make one resolution: Read 100 Books. So far I have completed three. Have to pick up the pace or I'll fall behind! While 2012 was the year of regaining strength and fitness, I hope to make 2013 the year of losing weight. I am unhappy with how much I have gained since my heart troubles started, and hope to shake it off.
Hope you enjoyed! I'd love to hear some of your proud accomplishments from 2012, please share some below!